Effective Thursday May 20, 2021, all amateur examination applicants will be required to provide an FCC Registration Number (FRN) to the Volunteer Examiners (VEs) BEFORE taking an amateur exam.Social security numbers are no longer accepted at exam sessions.
This is necessary due to changes the FCC has made to its licensing system.
In addition, after June 29, all applications will be required to contain an email address for FCC correspondence. Applicants will receive an email direct from the FCC with a link to the official electronic copy of their license whenever a license is issued or changed. ARRL VEC suggests that those without access to email to use the email address of a family member or friend. Licensees will be able to log in to the ULS using their FRN and password to download the latest version of their license at any time. The FCC no longer provides paper license documents.
Which test can an Volunteer Examiner administer?
General Class License holders can only administer Technician Class exams.
Advanced Class License holders can administer Technician and General Class exams only.
Extra Class License holders can administer Technician, General Class and Extra exams.
To ensure the integrity of each and every Volunteer Examiner (VE), strict standards are established for qualifications. Each applicant must meet and maintain all standards in order to be appointed and recognized as a VE by the FCC, ARRL and WCARS-VEC.
Per Title 47, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), part 97.509, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires that to qualify to be a Volunteer Examiner, you must:
· be 18 years of age or older; and
· never have had your amateur station or operator licenses suspended or revoked; and
· hold a valid General, Advanced or Extra Class license.
An applicant must then be accredited by the coordinating VEC.
ARRL VEC ACCREDITATION
Review the ARRL https://www.arrl.org/become-an-arrl-ve Volunteer Examiner Manual, complete the 40 question open book review, sign the VE Application, and send to:
225 Main Street
Newington, CT 06111
This manual is available in two formats:
- VE MANUAL PDF – download the complete version for free!
To view and/or print this file, you must have the free Adobe
Acrobat Reader. You can download the latest reader here.
- As a BOOK available through our online store.
Shipping is included in the price!
Additional VE Manual Information:
- Prospective Volunteer Examiners (VEs) should view “Chapter 2 – Becoming a Volunteer Examiner” of the VE manual which explains the VE accreditation process. Complete the ARRL VE Application Form and Open-Book Review. Please fax, mail/courier or email us an Adobe PDF file or scanned JPEG image (showing your real signature). Additional instructions are located on Become an ARRL VE page.
- Samples of all ARRL VEC Forms (except for CSCEs) are located in Chapter 9 and on the VE Resources Page. Forms may be downloaded, printed or duplicated.
If you have any questions or comments, e-mail the ARRL VEC,
or call 860-594-0300.